Diets That Work During Menopause
How to Boost Your Metabolism and Lose Weight (even) During Menopause (without feeling deprived)
So we've looked at why diets DON'T work...
Now let's look at what boosts your metabolism and find diets that WORK during menopause!
Here's what the experts say about boosting your metabolism
All the experts agree that most diets put your body in "starvation mode" and decrease your metabolism...
But that diets that work long term take your body out of starvation mode and boost your metabolism.
Dr Josh Axe says- Make sure you're NOT in starvation mode:
- For a diet that works - eat regularly, rest enough, avoid overeating, and go for progress not perfection.
- He recommends diets that are similar to a gluten-free paleo diet, as in, real, unprocessed foods with less packaged, empty sources of calories.
- Other diets he recommends are anti-inflammatory diets like the Mediterranean and Okinowa diets or a healing diet for leaky gut or to sooth an autoimmune condition
- He also thinks that short-term, the ketogenic diet, cabbage soup diet, and an elimination diet are all have benefit.
Dr Axe's general guidelines for how to lose weight:
- Eat slowly.
- Let go of the grains
- Don't shop on an empty stomach
- Stockpile healthy snacks at home
- Get lots of fiber, water, healthy fats, and sleep.
Dr Mark Hyman says the 2 keys to losing weight and keeping it off are:
#1 - Fix out-of-balance brain chemistry and hormones that drive hunger and overeating (do this instead of relying on willpower)
#2 - Increase your metabolism so you burn more calories all day and all night (he says -most diets do the opposite!)
He also recommends healing your gut with probiotics, eating plenty of healthy fat and less carbs, and detoxing your life.
Dr Aviva Romm says for diets that work:
- Get rid of processed foods like sugar, flour, soda, & candy
- Never get too hungry... Eat within an hour of waking and every 3-4 hours after that
- Include some protein every time you eat
- Eat carbs sparingly and later in the day is better
- Get enough sleep
- Indulge now and then! (If you're too strict, you'll just rebel) She likes dark chocolate in the afternoon!
- Get Protein, Healthy Fat, and Complex Carbs at every meal
- Love your body more:)
Dietician Cassie says
- Eat enough
- Eat often enough
- Get Protein, Healthy Fat, and Complex Carbs at every meal and snack
You can see the theme here.. Diets that work DO NOT include eating less and less, because that just starts a negative cycle of decreased metabolism that prevents weight loss!
Here’s the recap... All The Elements of Diets That Work
Be strict about not skipping meals - but not too strict in general
Don't get too hungry and don't feel deprived
Eat within an hour of waking up
And every 3-4 hours after that and include protein and healthy fat each time you eat
Get enough sleep
7-9 hours is ideal
Drink enough water (but not ice water)
1/2 your body weight in oz each day is a good guideline
Avoid sugar, refined flours, and processed food
Avoid artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives as well as white flour, trans fats, and pesticides
Get enough healthy fat (don't skimp here)
2-3 Tablespoons at every meal and snack. Good sources include grass-fed butter, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, coconut milk, nuts, seeds, oily fish, and grass-fed beef
Heal your gut
Get some probiotics and avoid sugar, antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, and acid blockers when possible
Detox your home and life
Avoid chemicals in your personal care, cleaning, and food - like parabens, triclosan, artificial fragrance, phthalates, propylene glycol, pesticides, chlorine, fluoride, heavy metals, and BPA (found in plastics used to package food)
Try an elimination diet
Get off gluten, dairy, soy, and other common allergens for 2-3 weeks to reduce inflammation due to food allergies or sensitivities.
Avoid too much cold, raw, or frozen food
Include herbs, spices, and foods in your diet that support your digestive fire and function like fennel, ginger, cardamom, apple cider vinegar, lemon and grapefruit juice, watercress, endive, sweet potato, papaya, and dried orange peel tea.
Moderately and consistently (don't skip it but don't overdo it)
Remember you're beautiful
And big picture...
Focus on balancing hormones throughout your body - this will allow all the other tips to work like a charm.
Guide: Use Smoothies to Manage Menopause Without Drugs
If you've enjoyed this article - please SHARE it with your sisters, mothers, girlfriends, and coworkers
Read more from my favorite experts