Healthy Cookies With Chocolate Chips and Superfoods
Healthy cookies? Heck yes, and delicious. This recipe packs in chocolate chips, walnuts, and goji berries in an absolutely delicious gluten-free, grain-free, almond flour cookie. These are always the first thing GONE at potlucks.
Dark chocolate is rich in magnesium and antioxidants, almond flour is good for the lungs and high in Vitamin E, walnuts are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, and goji berries are good for the liver and have a high ORAC value.
1-1/2 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 tsp sea salt, real salt, or himalayan salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup organic butter or coconut oil – melted
1/4 cup coconut sugar or local honey
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
6 drops monkfruit (or use liquid stevia)
1 cup organic dark chocolate chips or chunks (use 1-1/2 cups if you like a lot of chocolate)
1/2 cup goji berries.
1/2 cup organic walnuts chopped or in pieces (or other nut of your choice)
- line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper (oiling the sheets with coconut oil or butter works too)
- in a large bowl combine the almond flour, sea salt, and baking soda
- in medium bowl whisk together the butter, coconut sugar, sweetfruit drops, and vanilla
- add 1/4 of the chocolate chips to the flour mixture, and then stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients (the chocolate chips will partially melt because of the warm melted butter or coconut oil) Stir until just combined – do not over stir
- fold in the rest of the chocolate chips, nuts and goji berries
- refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes
- preheat the oven to 350 F while the dough is in the fridge
- put spoonfuls of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets
- press each spoonful down to flatten – shape into circles if desired (leave a little space between cookies)
- bake 15-18 minutes until lightly golden.
- cool for 20 min (if you can) then serve while still warm.
A big thanks to Vanesza Farmer, LAc for this recipe.